LOTS OF DETAIL, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
REQUIRES IO ANALOG 6.1 / IO DIGITAL 1.2 AND NEWER
SNAC is the most direct way of interfacing cores with their native accessories (controllers, light guns, etc). You can not mix and match peripherals between cores. NES core requires NES accessories, etc (technically SNES controller works on NES, but you get the point). If the original hardware could use it, it should work.
PSNAX is an updated version of SNAC that adds support for PSX accessories (ONLY SUPPORTS MY PSX CONTROLLER ADAPTERS) as well as potential support for NES and SNES dual ports just like the original console. Sega consoles will likely forever be single controller port. The NES code has been merged, and SNES code is fully tested but not yet merged. AN INJECTION MOLDED CASE IS IN PRODUCTION!
|SNES||1P||2P* to 5P**|
|Genesis / CD / 32X||1P to 4P (multitap)||1P to 4P (multitap)|
|Saturn||1P to 4P (multitap)***||1P to 4P (multitap)***|
|PSX||NOT SUPPORTED||2P to 4P (multitap SNAC port 1)****|
* NES and SNES core code needs to be updated for 2 player mode
** Multitap must be plugged into the correct ports relative to original hardware
*** Very early Saturn SNAC testing is underway. Basic controllers only, no 3D controllers, multitap or accessories yet.
**** Memory card only supported when used with multitap. When SNAC is enabled for Joy1 or Joy2, a memory card can't be used on that port. For 1P SNAC, load a virtual memory card into port 2 from the PSX core menu. Rumble is the correct voltage and is generated from the 5V line without any external power adapter. Use saveatates for easier saves. Player 2 must use SNAX port 2 for 2P games, not multitap. Player 2 can use multitap for 3-4P games.
- DOES NOT CONTROL MAIN MENU - NEED USB INPUT METHOD TO NAVIGATE
- Requires controller adapters
See pictures for included accessories
- Sega Master System
- Genesis / Sega CD / 32X
- Saturn (preliminary, work-in-progress)
- TurboGrafx-16 / TurboGrafx CD
- Load a supported MiSTer core
- Plug controller > hdmi-style adapter > SNAC/SNAX > USB 3 cable > IO board's USB 3 "User" port
- Navigate to the option for controls (name varies per core: “Serial”, “SNAC”, etc.
- Some cores require certain accessories to be used in specific ports. You may need to move the accessory to the other port (SNAX only) or use the “Swap joysticks” option in the core’s menu.
Tested / Working accessories:
- Famicom external controllers
- Famicom 3D Glasses (!)
- NES OEM controllers
- NES Zapper (CRT required)
- NES PowerPad
- SNES OEM controllers (NES and SNES cores)
- SNES Super Scope 6 (using a custom SNES adapter board not currently available) (CRT required)
- SNES Super Multitap (P2-P5 only, P1 can be other port (SNAX only) or USB
- TurboGrafx-16 2-button controllers
- Sega Genesis 3 / 6-button controllers (SMS and Genesis cores)
- Sega Menacer (CRT required)
- Sega Justifier (CRT required)
- Sega OEM Multitap (4 player using a single SNAC port)
- 8BitDo M30 2.4 GHz controller
- Sega Master System Phaser Lightgun
- Sony PlayStation controllers with rumble (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation memory cards (including Pocket Station) (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation neGcon (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation Jogcon (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation GunCon x 2 (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation Hyper Blaster (requires SNAX)
- Sony PlayStation Multitap (port 1 of SNAX only)
- TurboGrafx/PCE 6 button controllers