TLDR: If you NEED dual video out and don't care about potential dual SDRAM, get the Analog IO. If not, get the Digital IO board. Currently the PSX core will work on single SDRAM but dual SDRAM might allow for additional features.
Common features between analog and standard IO:
- HDMI out via the DE10-nano
- Cooling fan
- System buttons and LEDs
- mini TOSLINK digital audio out
- User port for SNAC and mt32-pi
- Secondary SD card slot for computer cores only (don't you dare try to use it as extra game storage haha)
- JST headers to extend power, buttons, and LEDs
Analog IO unique features:
- Analog video output (Digital IO board can output analog video by using an HDMI to VGA adapter)
- Dual video out (analog + digital) (Digital IO can output either analog or digital video but not both)
- Analog audio output
Digital IO unique features:
- Power switch
- TOSLINK audio out
- ADC-In for audio input (NOT AUDIO OUT :)
- Allows for secondary SDRAM
Purchased the fan plate/heatsink combo as an inexpensive way to keep the MiSTer at stable temperatures - I have no need for the features of the IO boards at this time - and found it quite effective. I would love for there to be an option for an upgraded fan since the included fan generates a fair amount of noise (a no-fan option would suffice as well, as it allows users to use their fan of preference).
Mister is awesome!
MiSTer FPGA Analog and Digital IO Boards
I ended up buying two boards from MiSTer. When I first started, I grabbed the Fan Plate and liked how it completed my basic stack. Once I was ready to upgrade my MiSTer build, I went with the Digital IO board. Love the look, how sturdy the power switch is and using the onboard buttons is a huge improvement to general use. Very happy with my purchases!
So happy with my Mister FPGA kit from Mister Addons! This thing is a total game changer. Looks and runs amazing on CRT and other monitors. Love how compact the unit is. Very easy to get up and running. Mister Add-ons was super helpful with my order and very patient with my questions (and fixing an order mistake I made) - thank you! I will definitely be ordering more mister goodies from Mister Addons!